Monday, November 20, 2006

weave.

You can always tell when there has been a girl fight. The kids recognize it instantly. "Hey was there a fight up in here?" They asked excitedly today. I told them there hadn't been. "Then what's all this weave doing on the floor?"

Sometimes strands just come out, I guess. I am not schooled in the art of black hair or "Ethnic Hair" as they label it on the aisle marker in the grocery store. I am curious about it, though, interested. I asked a student about her hair a while ago. "Why do you put lotion in your hair" I asked. There was another girl standing above her administering the process. She looked at me in the precise way I hoped she wouldn't "Because its dry." She said, just as dry.

I have always felt strongly that the notion of "everyone is the same" is a big factor into racism. Everyone is NOT the same. We are all EQUAL, but we are not the same. I don't want to pretend as though my students' lives are the same as mine. I am sure that their Thanksgiving dinner will look different from my family's. I want to know about it. I want to ask about it. I want them to ask about mine.

And I want them to tell me why their weave is on my classroom floor.


2 Comments:

Blogger chrissy said...

a weave isn't real hair. It's fake hair added to their hair to make it look fuller. It's "weaved" in. It's like extensions for white people.

I lived with Venus for two years, and it helped me learn stuff like that. She would also flat iron her hair everyday and wrap it around her head for some reason. And she very rarely shampooed and conditioned her hair because it would take forever to hot iron it out.

not like I'm an expert...

2:47 PM  
Blogger chrissy said...

oh, I totally wanted to add this. when we have perms mean it makes your hair curly, black people perms are to make your hair straight.

2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home