Wednesday, September 12, 2007

pennies.

"Oh I aint coming on Friday." Sarah told me.

Sarah is a Freshman. I've never taught Freshmen before, but this year I have a Freshman homeroom. I was unsure of what to expect from them. I didn't know if they would be scared and intimidated by high school or if they would still be cocky from 8th grade. I got a mixture of both.

"Why aren't you coming on Friday?" I asked. "I'm not coming neither" said another girl, Shavonda. "It's Freshman Penny Day on Friday." "Freshman Penny Day? What is that?" I asked. "It's where all the kids throw pennies at the Freshman after school." said Dewon.

I told my homeroom that that wouldn't actually happen. I had never heard of it and I figured it was one of those rumors that upperclassmen start to scare the new meat.

I was wrong, of course.

On Friday, I first noticed it in 4th period. Anthony Palmer came in roudy as ever. Since he got shot this Summer he has a reputation to hold on to. He still has the bandages on his throat and a newfound respect amongst the other boys in the school. During class I started hearing change hit the ground. Then later it was flying across the room. Anthony was throwing, not only pennies, but nickels and quarters as well.

The Freshmen were in trouble.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home