Tuesday, March 04, 2008

killed.

I found out this morning that one of our sophomore girls was killed over the weekend.

"It was over a boy." Kavra told me during first period "I can't even believe that shit." Most of the kids said something about the shooting when they walked in this morning to class, but some of them didn't know the girl or hadn't heard the news. We were told by the administration that if any kids were upset they could be sent to the office, but I guess there weren't enough people to deal with all the response. We had some teachers up there and the one social worker in the building. A lot of kids were crying and needed someone to talk to, but no one in my class.

During fourth period one of my students asked if we were doing any work. "Of course we're doing work, why wouldn't we?" I asked her. "Cause that girl died!" she said "We didn't have to do any work in my other classes!" A lot of kids had the same sentiment, but we did work anyway. "If you are upset about what happened this weekend come up and talk to me." I told them. No one did.

At the end of the day one of the girl's friends read a poem over the school intercom. I was surprised to hear my sixth period class quiet down. Afterward they applauded.

"I know she can't hear me", Matthew told me as he clapped, "but that was really nice."

2 Comments:

Blogger Casssie Wright said...

How is it possible that there aren't millions of comments on all your posts? I've just blown through 10 or so and after this note, I'm going back to the beginning to read the rest. I can't stop! It's an incredible story you're writing/living.

4:44 PM  
Blogger Coach Maley said...

I'm a teacher in the inner city school in Chicago. A lot of what you are writing about resignates with me as well.

I actually have my own blog that I write for the kids kbahoops.blogspot.com that has really helped to improve my relationships with them through sport and humor.

8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home