Monday, October 01, 2007

write.

Here are some writing samples from my students' essay on the racial factors in the Amos 'n' Andy Show. They are written exactly how the students wrote them:

"What my circumstantial about what is going on is that I don't feel rigth at all knowing that I can't move on with another day with whites treating blacks this way. I just can't walk up and down the streets with Whites, Mexican, Puritan Ricans saying some thing to me and threading to hurt me if I don't talk to them. It's scary to me cause now I pick my little brother up from school and I don't believe it's self for him to be walking with me and being stopped by some body that we don't know. But one day I hope that it will change and people will jus get along. My little brother is afraid to go to school every day cause of what the whites will do or say to him."

"I DIDN'T LIKE THE FACT THAT WHEN THERE WHERE ACTING, THEY WERE ALSO PUTTING BLACK PEOPLE DOWN. WHEN THERE IS RACE IN THE WORLD KNOW BODY SHOULD PUT ANYBODY DOWN, EVERYBODY SHOULD JUST GET ALONE."

"My feelings on the Amos and Andy Show is that I really like the show because it is very funny and interesting to listen to. I really didn't care if Amos and Andy was acting like black people because it was very funny to me. Even though black listeners were offended by it they were going through racism back then and now were not being judge by our color so that's way were not offended by that but I know if we were raised back in the day I know that it would be a big problem"

"It was parts when Amos 's' Andy would say and do dumb stuff, but that don't mean the characters in the show were being portrayed as being lazy and stupid.. I just think that they did it for the money. Because that's what business is about money Its all about the all might dollar. I mean that's how the world go around, from back then until this day. People are still going to make money the way the you can it don't matter if your black or white or some other race."

1 Comments:

Blogger Rena said...

Hi. I just wanted to say that I really like your blog. I just started substitute teaching in Oakland and although I'm not working for the district, but for a private company (Kelly Services), they provide subs for public charter high schools in the area and those are normally about 50/50 black and Hispanic. I have a really hard time in those classrooms and reading this blog made me feel a little better about it all I guess. On top of having the sub stigma already (i.e. no one does or even pretends to do anything), I can't imagine why a black or Hispanic kid who has already internalized so much of the racial attitudes in our society would ever listen to or respect the "white girl" teacher that I am, standing up there telling them what to do. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that when most of those kids walk into a classroom, I'm just another white woman trying to tell them what to do.
Anyway, sorry for the long comment. Any help or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Please feel free to check out my blog. It's mostly ramblings of a wannabe writer.

12:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home