Saturday, March 29, 2008

new.

We have a new principal.

This is the third one this year. I found out from the kids, as usual. Before first period Ashley asked me if I knew anything about it. "What? No, we aren't getting a new principal. Where did you hear that from?" She was right, of course. I found out later at the staff meeting.

Our former principal, I really liked. He really got things done and was really supportive of my program. He was a charming guy and all the kids liked him. Now that we have all gotten used to him though, he is leaving. He got hired on with the administration that is taking over next year.

"He'll be working on transitioning the students to the new school." said our new principal. An older African-American woman with greying hair and a nice smile. "In the meantime, I'll be here to help you all and I look forward to meeting all of you. We have 3 months left and I think we can make a lot of improvements in that time." Oh great, I thought, more changes.

The students usually get pretty angry during a transition like this. It was all they could talk about when we had the first change in principals this year. This time they seem almost warn out. Not apathetic, but tired. When we found out the school was closing the kids had several walk outs staged. They wrote essays in development class about how upset they were. They went to community meetings and spoke. When the board voted to close the school anyhow I think they lost hope. It's rough to put a ton of effort into something and not see results. I think they feel helpless now.

I certainly do.

2 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

sometimes these stories are so pathetic I want to cry, how do you keep from falling into depression? You are a special person for these kids, that's for sure.

Liz

11:07 AM  
Blogger thebets said...

Hey Kris...I thought you might get a kick out of writing your own (being an English teacher and all), so I tagged you!
Tag-you're it-blog across the blogosphere thingy....
Go to http://bubbalovestorun.blogspot.com/2008/04/warning-this-post-is-not-for-faint-of.html

for the instructions.

8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home