Wednesday, March 07, 2007

wake up.

I've been giving out wake up calls.

A lot of my seniors haven't been getting to school on time. This is a problem with most of the kids. At 8am, when school starts, there are only two or three students in the classroom. Tardiness is such a problem that school-wide the failure rate in first period is over 90%. In my first period class its 98%.

So I've been calling kids in the morning. At first it was just one kid, a senior in my homeroom. He was complaining about how he never gets to school until third period. "Why don't you set your alarm earlier?" I asked "I DO!" He said "I just don't hear it or something, I don't know." "Well can't your mom just make you get up?" I said. "Nah, she sleeps real late. I'm supposed to wake her up before I go to school" I thought about this. "Well," I said "Why don't I call you tomorrow morning when I get up?" "Aw for real? Yeah that would be funny if my teacher called me. Would you do that for real?"

I did. I called his house that next morning. It was weird to wake him up. "I'm up, I'm up!" He said, like I was shaking him out of bed. "Okay, I'll see you at school" I told him.

Now I have a list of 4 students to call every morning. It's a lot of responsibility, but it feels good and I think its working.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home