Monday, April 09, 2007

love.

I love my students.

After coming back from spring break there was a new attitude from most of the students. An attitude of excitement and of overall calm.

I missed them. Today I realised how much I liked them. Almost all of them now. In the beginning I only really liked a few students. Now the ones I used to hate behave differently. In the beginning of the school year I didn't know them. Now I do. Now I know to ask "Did you see your Dad over the break?" to Jasmine or "Did you apply for that job at Payless?" to Shaneek. It's a whole different story now that I have gotten to know them personally. They still swear in my class and throw paper balls, but when I look at them they apologize and I hardly have to write any kids up anymore.

Even LaParis who, in the last entry I wrote, had taken all the folders out of the cabinet and thrown them on the floor. The day after that incident I told her we needed to talk before she came back in the class. "I know" she said "I'm sorry. I just got real frustrated." I told her it was okay. That was all I needed to hear. I know these kids have a difficult time controlling their feelings. I just want to know they aren't doing it maliciously.

I care about them now. A lot.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Awwwww. This is one of the best entries ever. I know your job can be really difficult and frusturating and it's so refreshing to see the amazing attitude you have.

4:09 PM  
Blogger seashel said...

you've gotten me all watery. it's great that you've endeared yourselves to each other. that you've connected. it's the only way to get through life.

2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home